When was Elvis Presley’s funeral and who attended?

ELVIS Presley had a life of fame and fortune but this was cut short at the age of 42.

The star is now buried at Graceland, but who went to his funeral?

Corbis – GettyThousands of fans gathered at Graceland for the funeral of Elvis Presley[/caption]

When was Elvis Presley’s funeral?

Elvis Presley‘s funeral took place just two days after he passed away.

He died suddenly on August 16, 1977 and his funeral was carried out on August 18, 1977.

It took place at his home Graceland, in Memphis, which is where it’s said he felt most comfortable.

Who attended Elvis Presley’s funeral?

An estimated 200 people attended Elvis’ funeral, including his close friends and family.

Many stars were at the funeral, including: John Wayne, Burt Reynolds, George Hamilton, Ann-Margret and Caroline Kennedy.

Colonel Tom Parker, Elvis’ long time manager was also there.

The Colonel travelled to Memphis for the funeral, where he turned up dressed in a Hawaiian shirt and baseball cap, and smoked his trademark cigar.

It was reported that while he was there, he persuaded Presley’s father to sign over control of Presley’s career in death to him.

Elvis had one of the most highly attended celebrity funerals processions in the U.S.

Approximately 80,000 people descended on the small city of Memphis, Tennessee.

According to news reports, so many people travelled to Memphis that President Jimmy Carter had 300 National Guard troops sent to the area to keep things in order.

Elvis’ father decided that there would be a public viewing on August 17.

Around 30,000 fans were allowed in through the gates of Graceland.

For the public viewing, Elvis’ open casket was placed in the foyer for the fans to walk by and pay their last respects.

How did Elvis Presley die?

Presley’s then-girlfriend Ginger Alden found the singer unresponsive on his bathroom floor in his home, Graceland.

He was then rushed to the hospital, but was then declared dead from cardiac arrest at 3:30pm.

The preliminary autopsy findings indicated that the cause of death was cardiac arrhythmia, according to Dr. Jerry Francisco, the Shelby County coroner who conducted a two-hour examination of the body.